The US and China are nearing agreement on a trade deal, but it could be bad news for Australia; Australian Super clashes with government over climate change issues; and Melbourne and Sydney auction volumes down by ~30%. Here's what's happening in markets.
What I'm reading
US-China trade deal "could be a bit of a horror for us"
The planned deal between the two superpowers would see China agree to increase its purchases of US products by $US1.2 trillion, potentially at the expense of trade with Australia.
Federal Government and Australian Super clash over climate change
Australian Super Chair, Heather Ridout, has criticised Federal Treasurer, Josh Frydenberg, over his recent referral to APRA. The Treasurer is attempting to stop the funds from wielding their influence over climate change priorities. Andrew Schmulow from Wollongong University said that acquiescing to the Treasurer's request would be "the last nail in APRA's coffin of credibility."
Auction volumes plummet in capital cities
Despite the recent seasonal tick-up in auction clearance rates (which remain below last year's levels in all cities), auction volumes are down by nearly 30% across the country.
Why you shouldn't ignore sleep
This is an oldie, but a goodie. Matthew Walker, Professor of Neuroscience and Psychology at the University of California, speaks to Joe Rogan about the importance of sleep to every aspect of our health and wellbeing. He also warns of a epidemic of sleeplessness across the developed world.
Stocks to watch
- Coles Group (COL) announced a joint venture that sees them offload 87 hotels businesses in Queensland, while retaining the attached retail liquor distribution businesses. Australian Venue Co will pay Coles ~$200m to form the JV.
Key market data
- ASX Futures: 6,174.5 (-0.63%)
- AUD/USD: 0.7088 (-0.16%)
- ASX200: 6,217.40 (+0.40%)
- S&P 500: 2,792.81 (-0.39%)
- China A50: 12,976.06 (+0.75%)
- Australia 2-yr bond: 1.742 (-1.64%)
- Australia 10-yr bond: 2.163 (-1.55%)
- US 2-yr bond: 2.543 (-0.87%)
- US 10-yr bond: 2.724 (-1.51%)
- Gold (USD/oz): 1,287.70 (-0.67%)
- Copper (USD/lb): 2.910 (-1.15%)
- Brent Oil (USD/bbl): 65.58 (+0.78%)
Upcoming releases and events
- RBA rate decision today at 2:30pm AEST
- Australian GDP for Q4 is released tomorrow at 11:30am AEST
- Retail sales and trade data for January are relased on Thursday at 11:30am AEST.
Never miss an update
Stay up to date with my morning notes by hitting the 'follow' button below and you'll be notified every time I post a wire.