Like the traditional resources sector? Here's why you're gonna love renewables
Conventional wisdom holds that 'traditional' natural resource investments are a sure, safe bet. And justifiably so: Land, from which natural resources have been extracted, is one of the classic four factors of production.
They offer diversification and inflation protection courtesy of increased pricing power when costs go up.
It doesn't take much to realise the relevance of these attributes in the current environment.
But here's the thing. Renewables offer all those benefits and more, according to today's podcast guest Lucas White - portfolio manager for GMO's Resources and Climate Change Strategies.
"The broad economy could be struggling, or GDP growth could be flattish or barely growing, but if the world is rapidly transitioning to clean energy, there's no reason why a clean energy strategy couldn't do very well."
In this episode of The Rules of Investing podcast, you'll also hear why renewable energy will be taking the commodities sector along for the ride, and how GMO filter their clean energy stocks to capture outsized returns.
This episode was recorded on April 11 2022.
- 1:40 – Lucas' path to GMOs Climate Strategy
- 3:07 - Jeremy Grantham leading the decarb conversation
- 6:12 - The case for natural resource equities
- 12:30 - Renewables and inflation
- 16:40 - Legacy energy production is critical, for now
- 12:00 - Renewables depend on commodities
- 21:50 - Nuclear and gas
- 29:50 - GMOs Climate Strategy
- 33:00 - Go equities for your commodities exposure
- 36:25 - Climate Strategy performance
- 39:00 - Lucas answers our three favourite questions.
- Fortune's Formula: The Untold Story of the Scientific Betting System That Beat the Casinos and Wall Street. Available on Amazon and Booktopia.
Never miss an insight
Enjoy this wire? Hit the ‘like’ button to let us know. Stay up to date with content like this by hitting the ‘follow’ button below and you’ll be notified every time we post a wire.
Not already a Livewire member? Sign up today to get free access to investment ideas and strategies from Australia’s leading investors.
More from The Rules of Investing
To catch-up on previous episodes of the Rules of Investing, click here.
- 2 killer growth stocks (and why culture is key to successful small caps)
- We are in the midst of a social, economic, financial and political crisis
- Invest in what you know, avoid what you don’t: Lessons from a Hall of Fame fund manager
- Emma Fisher: Why it pays to be bullish (and the most outstanding idea on the ASX today)
1 fund mentioned
2 contributors mentioned
The Rules of Investing is one of Australia's top investing podcasts. We interview the leading investment minds from Australia and overseas to better understand their processes and philosophy. After launching in October 2017, there have been over...