Ben Griffiths: A bull waiting for these three signs before charging at small caps
Global markets are in a world of hurt. This week the Dow Jones Industrial Average nose-dived 1,100 points - its biggest loss since 2020. For all but those with the greatest of risk appetites, it's time to hunker down and weather the volatility storm.
But the rout won't last forever. As the saying goes, it's always darkest just before the dawn. Being ready for the turn will be key to capturing the growth to come.
In this episode of Rules of Investing, we're joined by small-cap notable Ben Griffiths , Managing Director and Senior Portfolio Manager at Eley Griffiths Group.
Ben co-founded Eley Griffiths Group back in 2002 with Brian Eley following a successful career as joint head of small companies at both BT Financial Group and ING Investment Management.
- The mess markets are in today
- The three signs he's waiting for to know when it's time to start buying.
- Small cap resources - a sector that can't be ignored when investing in small caps.
This episode was recorded on April 17 2022.
- 1:45 - Markets at an inflection point
- 2:30 - Waiting for go-time for stocks
- 10:15 - Momentum traps
- 12:30 - Small cap commodities
- 17:00 - Fundraising hiatus
- 21:30 - Filtering for performance
- 25:20 - Expanding the mandate into mid caps
- 31:00 - Cash for buying the dip
- 34:00 - Favourite questions
For an in-depth discussion on the stocks Ben likes and doesn't like, check out this article from my colleague Ally Selby.
Never miss an insight
Enjoy this wire? Hit the ‘like’ button to let us know. Stay up to date with content like this by hitting the ‘follow’ button below and you’ll be notified every time we post a wire.
Not already a Livewire member? Sign up today to get free access to investment ideas and strategies from Australia’s leading investors.
MORE ON Equities
1 contributor mentioned
The Rules of Investing is one of Australia's top investing podcasts. We interview the leading investment minds from Australia and overseas to better understand their processes and philosophy. After launching in October 2017, there have been over...