Tangiers Petroleum will almost certainly never produce a barrel of oil from its 25% interest in an offshore Moroccan exploration block

John Robertson

PortfolioDirect

Tangiers Petroleum will almost certainly never produce a barrel of oil from its 25% interest in an offshore Moroccan exploration block. With a 20% chance of a discovery, the hole now being drilled has an 80% chance of failing. If the operator finds what it is looking for, the subsequent development could be worth $2-3 billion, perhaps more, but only after spending nearly two billion dollars. Development will be well beyond the capacity of Tangiers' $60 million market cap to bear. There is a 95% chance that Tangiers will be bought by another company if the hole is successful, according to company MD David Wall today. Will the buying price, under these circumstances, compensate for the early stage investment risk? Here's some maths: let's say there is a 20% chance of a 300% return and an 80% chance of a -70% return. Worthwhile?


1 topic

John Robertson is Chief Investment Strategist for PortfolioDirect a provider of resource sector investment stock ratings and portfolio strategies for mining and oil and gas investors. He has worked as a policy economist, corporate business...

Expertise

No areas of expertise

I would like to

Only to be used for sending genuine email enquiries to the Contributor. Livewire Markets Pty Ltd reserves its right to take any legal or other appropriate action in relation to misuse of this service.

Personal Information Collection Statement
Your personal information will be passed to the Contributor and/or its authorised service provider to assist the Contributor to contact you about your investment enquiry. They are required not to use your information for any other purpose. Our privacy policy explains how we store personal information and how you may access, correct or complain about the handling of personal information.