The Match Out: Market up, Tech rallies 6% in a day!
It was certainly a ‘risk on’ session today with the Small Ordinaries (+3.20%) creaming the large caps (+0.77%) while drilling down into the relative sector performances also highlighted that skew, Technology the standout while other interest rate-sensitive sectors like real-estate did well. A good way to end a reasonable week for the market, while at Market Matters we also went live with a new version of our website, which brings in market data, advanced charting, company financials and broker forecasts, into what we think is a very user-friendly platform.
- The S&P/ASX 200 added +50 points / +0.77% to close at 6577.
- IT (+6.00%), Communications (+2.66%) and Real-Estate +2.48% all stormed higher today, a +6% gain from IT is the elusive move we’ve been targeting!
- Energy (-1.45%) and Materials (-0.14%%) were the only sectors to close in the red, although there was a big comeback from some of the beaten-up Lithium names.
- IT was the clear standout with the likes of Xero (XRO) +7.50%, Wisetech (WTC) +8.39% and Altium (ALU) +6.70% however it was Life 360 (360) that bounced hardest up 25%.
- The Crown takeover is now completing with the company electing to redeem the Hybrids (CWNHB) at $102.75 which we own.
- Lithium stocks rebounded today, Lake Resources (LKE) +15% with their CEO on the front foot holding a Webinar today for all and sundry.
- Oil held at around $104 a barrel although Energy stocks still saw selling – bar Uranium where Paladin (PDN) +11.21% had a good day.
- The Market Matters Portfolio’s ended the week well, the Emerging Companies Portfolio has been a struggle in recent times however a bounce of more than 6% today is pleasing.
- Both other domestic Portfolio’s, being the Growth & the Income also had some strong winners today.
- We toyed with adding to our IGO position this morning and buying another stock, slightly increasing the beta of the growth portfolio however we held firm for now – we’ll revisit Monday.
- Morgan Stanley actually cut their PT on IGO this morning from $11.35 to $10.65 – the stock closed up +1.82% at $10.07
- Iron ore futures were up 1.65% today in Asia.
- Gold was flat at US$1824/oz at our close.
- Asian markets were up, the Nikkei in Japan +1.37%, Hong Kong stocks rallied +1.8% while China was up 1.3%
- US Futures are higher, Dow +156pts, Nasdaq +0.60%.
ASX 200 Chart
Crown Hybrids (CWNHB) $101.85
CWNHB +1.99%: As part of the Blackstone takeover of Crown which is now completing, Crown today announced the redemption of the CWNHB at the price of $102.75 which represents the $100 face value plus deferred interest payments. The outcome is what we expected and a good result for the Market Matters Income Portfolio having bought the notes below par a year ago. We will now look to redeploy the 4% of the portfolio allocation held in this position.
Sectors this week
Stocks this week
- ANZ Bank Cut to Neutral at Macquarie; PT A$23.50
- Appen Raised to Neutral at Macquarie; PT A$5.70
- Bank of Queensland Raised to Outperform at Macquarie; PT A$8
- Bendigo & Adelaide Cut to Neutral at Macquarie; PT A$10
- Mincor Raised to Buy at Bell Potter; PT A$2
- St Barbara Raised to Outperform at RBC; PT A$1.25
- Mincor Raised to Buy at Shaw and Partners; PT A$2.05
Major Movers Today
Enjoy your night
The Market Matters Team
Make informed investment decisions
At Market Matters, we write a straight-talking, concise, twice-daily note about our experiences, the stocks we like, the stocks we don’t, the themes that you should be across and the risks as we see them. Click here for your free trial.
The Match Out will be available each day after the market close. Follow my profile to be notified when the latest report is live.
MORE ON Daily Report
The Match Out: Resources weigh on the index, small-caps get a reprieve, Austal lands a major contract
James is Portfolio Manager & Primary Author at Market Matters, a daily investment report with over 2500 subscribers that offers real market insight. He is also Senior Portfolio Manager within Shaw and Partners heading up a team that manages...