The best inflation protection you can get
The prophets of doom are blowing their recession horns. Accordingly, investors want to hold assets that can act as bulwarks against whatever's driving recession - that being inflation in today's case. And that's what today's edition of The Rules of Investing is all about.
Livewire's James Marlay sat down with Warryn Robertson, who is a portfolio manager and analyst at Lazard Asset Management. He's responsible for managing the Global Equity Franchise Strategy as well as Lazard's well-known Global Listed Infrastructure Fund - which has roughly $20 billion under the hood.
Today's episode will focus on infrastructure - a topic we know is front of mind for our readers. In our recent survey, infrastructure ranked third as the asset class to which they're most likely to increase exposure over the next 12 months.
Warryn founded the infrastructure strategy back in 2005 and it has returned 10.7% per annum since then.
You'll hear why infrastructure is "the best inflation protection you can get". But don't go running off to market before pressing play on this episode - as it can't be just any old infrastructure.
He also explains how Lazard values its assets, the key thing the whole investment industry missed during COVID, the increasing trend towards privatisation of infrastructure and a near monopoly asset that he believes offers compelling value.
This episode was recorded on June 23, 2022.
- 1:50 - Beginnings at Lazard
- 6:30 - How Lazard value assets
- 8:30 - Outlook for markets
- 9:10 - The error everyone made during the pandemic
- 15:00 - Pivoting away from US infrastructure
- 16:45 - The best inflation protection you can get
- 24:00 - The 3 tenets of preferred infrastructure
- 26:30 - Implied vs explicit inflation protection
- 37:00 - A compelling opportunity
- 40:00 - 3 favourite questions
The Warren Buffet Way, by Robert Heller. Available at Amazon and Booktopia.
Reminiscences of a Stock Operator, by Edwin Lefevre. Available at Amazon and Booktopia.
Never miss an insight
Enjoy this wire? Hit the ‘like’ button to let us know. Stay up to date with content like this by hitting the ‘follow’ button below and you’ll be notified every time we post a wire.
Not already a Livewire member? Sign up today to get free access to investment ideas and strategies from Australia’s leading investors.
Welcome to Livewire, Australia’s most trusted source of investment insights and analysis.
To continue reading this wire and get unlimited access to Livewire, join for free now and become a more informed and confident investor.
Read more from The Rules of Investing
To catch-up on previous episodes of the Rules of Investing, click here.
- Top stocks for today's markets (and why Jun Bei Liu believes the ASX will head higher in 2023)
- Is this the least crowded opportunity in the market today?
- No lithium, no worries for this outperforming small cap manager
- James Gerrish: Low risk equity returns are back (and these stocks provide them)
1 fund mentioned
1 contributor mentioned
The Rules of Investing is one of Australia's top investing podcasts. We interview the leading investment minds from Australia and overseas to better understand their processes and philosophy. After launching in October 2017, there have been over...
Please sign in to comment on this wire.