The biggest trends to watch in the next 5 years
Identifying key global trends in business and investing requires an overview of the world that few investors can achieve. But with an army of Fidelity International analysts at his back, and a truly global focus, Amit Lodha is uniquely positioned to spot and act on these trends. When searching for these trends, Amit wants to find keywords - what he calls his "anomaly watch". Six years ago, the keywords popping up on his anomaly watch were "personalisation" and "simplification". Those trends led him to investments in companies like Facebook, Apple, and Google.
More recently, the words that keep popping up on the anomaly watch are “collaboration” and “decentralisation”. In this episode of The Rules of Investing podcast, he explains the significance of these trends for the years ahead. We also hear about the time he met legendary investor Peter Lynch, and the lesson Peter shared with him.
- 2:01 - Amit discusses how he gathers intelligence and information as part of being a global equity manager
- 5:06 - What surprised him the most year
- 7:27 - The 37% rule and how it can help investors make an optimum decision, and the most important metric Amit looks for in companies
- 11:38 - How we will look at the Covid crash in 5-10 years' time and the key trends that are emerging from the crisis
- 15:01 - Is there a limit to how far deficits and money printing to go?
- 16:48 - The importance of finding management teams and brands that can be trusted
- 20:21 - Amit dives into his 'anomaly' watch, keywords that are becoming more apparent
- 23:33 - 2 big themes he is watching right now
- 27: 33 - Patrick asks Amit about the time he met the legendary Peter Lynch, and the advice Peter gave him
- 30:18 - Patrick asks Amit his three favourite questions
- The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse (available on Amazon and other book retailers)
- Bad Boy Billionaires (available on Netflix)
- Intelligence Squared podcast with Thomas Friedman (available on Apple Podcasts and other podcast platforms)
More about Amit's fund
Amit Lodha has been Portfolio Manager of the Fidelity Global Equities
Fund since 2010. The fund focuses on finding companies with sustainable pricing power, strong management, and companies investing for future growth. For more information, please visit the Fidelity website.
Enjoy this wire? Hit the 'like' button to let us know, or leave a comment with your thoughts.
2 contributors mentioned
The Rules of Investing is one of Australia's top investing podcasts. We interview the leading investment minds from Australia and overseas to better understand their processes and philosophy. After launching in October 2017, there have been over...