The Match Out: Bang! US Inflation may still be “hot” but stocks enjoy a huge relief rally!
Friday delivered a very different story to most of 2021/22 with stocks rallying aggressively following a stronger-than-expected US inflation print. The risk on theme from Thursday night which saw the Dow surge over 800-points followed through locally with the ASX200 posting a solid triple-digit gain with losers very thin on the ground as all 11 sectors rallied by over 1%, it might not feel like it but October is now up around 300-points and were still only mid-month.
- The ASX 200 finished up +116pts/ +1.75% at 6758
- The Energy sector was best on ground (+3.75) while the Utilities (+3.62%) were a close second.
- Industrials (+1.37%) and Materials (+1.38%) were the weakest links but still closed positive.
- Banks maintained their stellar rally for the week with Virgin Money (ASX: VUK) playing some catchup on its domestic peers closing up over +10% on the day.
- It was an unusual mix of stocks at the pointy end of today's gains with no obvious theme, The top performers names included a bank, fast food company, tech, healthcare company and insurance stocks.
- The days naughty corner again contained Pilbara (ASX: PLS) but Allkem (ASX: AKE) was one of the best performing lithium plays i.e. not all boats rise as one.
- Iron Ore was ~0.7% higher in Asia today supporting Fortescue (ASX: FMG) which rallied 0.7% & Rio Tinto (ASX: RIO) +1.0%
- Gold was slightly lower overnight closing ~US$1977 before drifting another ~$US4/oz in Asian trade today, settling at $US1673 at the close.
- Asian stocks rallied in line with the global mood, both Japan’s Nikkei was and the Hang Seng surged +3.4%.
- US Futures are all up, around +0.60% extending the overnight gains in the process.
ASX 200 Chart
Sectors This Week
Stocks This Week
- Genex Power (ASX: GNX) Raised to Speculative Buy at Canaccord
- Qantas (ASX: QAN) raised to neutral at Citi – PT $5.78
- Lottery Corp. (ASX: TLC) rated new sell at Goldman – PT $3.50
- PointsBet (ASX: PBH) reinstated neutral Goldman – PT $2.22
- Jumbo Interactive (ASX: JIN) reinstated as buy at Goldman – PT $15.30
- Tabcorp (ASX: TAH) cut to sell at Goldman- PT 80c
- Cochlear (ASX: COH) raised to buy at Jefferies – PT $219.30
Major Movers Today
Make informed investment decisions
At Market Matters, we write a straight-talking, concise, twice daily note about our experiences, the stocks we like, the stocks we don’t, the themes that you should be across and the risks as we see them. Click here for your free trial.
The Match Out will be available each day after the market close. Follow my profile to be notified when the latest report is live.
Welcome to Livewire, Australia’s most trusted source of investment insights and analysis.
To continue reading this wire and get unlimited access to Livewire, join for free now and become a more informed and confident investor.
12 stocks mentioned
James is Portfolio Manager & Primary Author at Market Matters, a daily investment report with over 2500 subscribers that offers real market insight. He is also Senior Portfolio Manager within Shaw and Partners heading up a team that manages...
Please sign in to comment on this wire.