The local market sold off on the open today and struggled to stage any kind of meaningful recovery as the session rolled on. Trade tensions simmering was seen as the catalyst to take some profits today after a decent run up in recent trading days and the local market followed the US markets lower. This week has seen huge outperformance from the ASX vs its North American counterparts - for the year to date the ASX200 is currently tracking 176bps better than the S&P500
ASX200 vs S&P500
Energy names were the hardest hit following the rout in oil overnight on slowing global growth expectations as well as rising stockpiles despite OPEC production curbs. Consumer discretionary names edged higher as they continue their climb.
I sat down with Harry Watt today to discuss the implications of a range events circling the market at the moment – Trade wars, elections, interest rates and more – CLICK HERE to view
Overall today, the ASX 200 fell -35pts or -0.55% to 6456. Dow Futures are trading up +86 points / +0.34%
ASX 200 Chart
ASX 200 Chart
CATCHING OUR EYE:
Sectors this week;
Stocks this week;
- Freightways Downgraded to Neutral at UBS; PT NZ$8.60
- Freightways Downgraded to Underperform at Forsyth Barr; PT NZ$8
- Argosy Downgraded to Neutral at UBS; PT NZ$1.32
- Argosy Cut to Underperform at First NZ Capital; PT NZ$1.20
- AGL Energy Downgraded to Underperform at Macquarie; PT A$19.99
- Sanford Upgraded to Outperform at First NZ Capital; PT NZ$7.57
- Cooper Energy Rated New Sector Perform at RBC; PT A$0.60
- SCA Property Downgraded to Sell at Morningstar
- Reliance Worldwide Downgraded to Hold at Morningstar
- Ansell Upgraded to Outperform at Credit Suisse; PT A$27.50
Never miss an update
Stay up to date with the latest news from Market Matters by hitting the 'follow' button below and you'll be notified every time I post a wire.
Market Matters publishes daily market reports and sends SMS alerts when we transact on our portfolio. To get our latest market views and hear when we take new positions, trial Market Matters for 14 days at no cost by clicking here.