Two consumer stocks making it big overseas
The Australian team at Fidelity International often draw on influence of legendary Fidelity fund manager, Peter Lynch. But one area that the approach hasn't always worked has been store rollouts. Lynch famously loved a good store rollout as it was predictable growth with limited risk. As Kate Howitt, Portfolio Manager at Fidelity International explains in this week's podcast, this approach runs into a problem in Australia:
"If you try to put that into the Australian market there's a bit of a problem. That is that by the time you're large enough to list, you're probably about halfway through rolling out stores, because our market is so small."
Her approach instead, has been to look for great Australia consumer brands and retailers that can roll their product or store out overseas. In this episode of The Rules of Investing, she shares her thesis on two of these companies. She also discusses her quest to understand what makes a great company, and explains a strange anomaly being created by the combination low rates, easy money, and passive investing.
- 1:35 – Kate's journey to become a fund manager
- 3:26 – Some of the elements that make a great company
- 5:25 – The best and the worst investments she's ever made
- 11:20 – Implications of low interest rates for the financial economy vs the real economy
- 15:01 – Unexpected effects from Quantitative Easing
- 19:17 – How to get comfortable with high valuations
- 22:27 – Kate’s views on Oil Search, Woodside and the energy sector
- 26:29 – Two Aussie companies taking market share overseas
- 34:51 – Kate answers our three favourite questions.
If you're enjoying The Rules of Investing and don't want to miss a future episode, subscribe now to get notified when a new episode is released.
- Subscribe on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe on Spotify
- Subscribe on Stitcher
- Subscribe on Google Podcasts.
Or stay up to date with my content by hitting the 'follow' button below and you'll be notified every time I post a wire. Not already a Livewire member? Sign up today to get free access to investment ideas and strategies from Australia's leading investors.
MORE ON Equities
5 stocks mentioned
1 contributor mentioned
The Rules of Investing is one of Australia's top investing podcasts. We interview the leading investment minds from Australia and overseas to better understand their processes and philosophy. After launching in October 2017, there have been over...