Two small cap ideas for the long-term
Something that stands out is NovaPort's ability to look past labels like 'growth' or 'value' and focus purely on the expected return of a business, with high PE stocks sitting next to value stocks in the portfolio. In this podcast, we discuss the October market selloff, the attributes of a great investment, and two small caps that Alex would be comfortable holding if the market were to shut for 5 years.
Tune in for the latest episode of the Rules of Investing.
- 2:25 – What you’d expect to see from Novaport when the markets are coming down
- 3:55 – Are the ingredients for a downturn out there?
- 6:40 – What was it like to invest in Australian shares in the early 90s?
- 9:59 – The mood amongst investors during the 90s recession
- 11:40 – A time when Alex has made an investment mistake and what he’s learned from it
- 13:48 – What does a great investment opportunity look like?
- 17:27 – Some of the characteristics of a good investment
- 18:42 – Strategies to build conviction in an idea
- 23:35 – Questions that Alex likes to ask companies’ management to generate valuable insights
- 26:48 - A current stock that looks compelling and how he’s built conviction on it
- 31:14 – Alex shares a recent piece of research that was particularly impressive
- 34:39 – A lesson for his younger self
- 36:32 – Which company he’d own if the market was to close for 5 years
More about Novaport
NovaPort Capital is a boutique Australian equities investment manager specialising in small and microcap ASX-listed companies. Find out more here.
MORE ON Equities
2 contributors mentioned