What's happening in markets? Monday 4th February
It's Royal Comission day! The long-awaited final report from the Hayne Royal Comission is handed down today; Plato and Morgans predict "dividend bonanza" for Australian shares; and Ray Dalio discusses the state of the world economy in a CNBC interview. Here's what's happening in markets today.
What I'm reading
Royal Commission results today
After almost a full year of hearings, the long-awaited final report from the Hayne Royal Commission is released at 4:10pm today. No doubt the stories will be quick to hit the presses, as journalists will be "locked up" with the report from lunctime today. In the meantime, business leaders are urging calm as the results hit:
$29 billion "dividend bonanza" on its way to investors
With Labor heavily favoured to win the next Federal election and standing by their dividend franking policy, Dr Don Hamson from Plato Investment Management is expecting excess franking credits to be paid out to investors this reporting season.
Ray Dalio on CNBC
Bridgewater Associates founder, Ray Dalio recently appeared on CNBC to discuss to the big picture issues the world faces today (~14 minutes).
Stocks to watch
- Ship builder, Austal (ASB) announced a huge upgrade to revenue. Previous guidance was for $1.3B-$1.4B, new guidance is $1.9B
- Millenium Minerals (MOY) announced a 70% increase to ore reserves after depletion at their Nullagine project
- Boral (BLD) provided a trading update and revised guidance. It now expects NPAT of $200m for the first half of FY19.
Key market data
- ASX Futures: 5,846.0 (-0.02%)
- AUD/USD: 0.7247 (-0.06%)
- ASX200: 5,862.80 (-0.03%)
- S&P 500: 2,706.53 (+0.09)
- China A50: 11,496.77 (+0.61%)
- Australia 2-yr bond: 1.854 (+1.48%)
- Australia 10-yr bond: 2.237 (+1.36%)
- US 2-yr bond: 2.506 (+1.79%)
- US 10-yr bond: 2.684 (+1.87%)
- Gold (USD/oz): 1,322.00 (-0.24%)
- Copper (USD/lb): 2.771 (-0.48%)
- Brent Oil (USD/bbl): 62.75 (+1.39%)
- 62% Iron Ore (USD/t): 69.15 (unchanged)
Upcoming releases and events
- Building approvals (December), ANZ's Job advertisements (January), and the TD Securites Inflation Guage (January) are all due to be released this morning
- The final report from the Hayne Royal Commission is released at 4:10pm today
- Retail sales and trade data are released tomorrow morning
- RBA rate meeting tomorrow morning.
Never miss an update
Stay up to date with my morning notes by hitting the 'follow' button below and you'll be notified every time I post a wire.
3 stocks mentioned
Patrick was one of Livewire’s first employees, joining in 2015 after nearly a decade working in insurance, superannuation, and retail banking. He is passionate about investing, with a particular interest in Australian small-caps.
No areas of expertise