CSL: Solid underlying growth
Morgans Financial Limited
While we remain confident in the future growth trajectory, sector sentiment remains weak and valuation a bit extended, so we would be happy to take profit in any overweight positions as a tactical trade for more nimble investors.
Solid underlying growth helped by competitor stumbles...
1H17 underlying NPAT was in-line, as expected given its pre-release (US$806m, +36.2% cc; ex-Novartis acquisition; Morgans US$800m), with strong underlying profit (EBIT US$1,095m, +38% cc) underpinned by solid product sales (US$2,963m, +18% cc).
- Above market Immunoglobulin sales (US$1,426m; +22% cc) on Privigen demand (+34%), supported by competitor stumbles, and Hizentra (+14% cc) new patient starts, balanced strength in Albumin (US$433m; +19% cc).
- Specialty products (US$590m, +25% cc), on strong underlying demand and competitor issues.
- Haemophilia was soft (US$514m, +2% cc) as solid recombinant sales (+15% cc) on the back of strong Idelvion uptake, were pulled down by softness in Helixate and plasma derived products (-6% cc).
- Seqirus (+14% cc) remains on track, targeting breakeven in FY18 and sales/EBIT of US$1bn/20% in FY20;
- EBITDA margins were higher (+530bp to 34.5%); 6) OCF was down 5.8% to US$664.2m, mainly on tax payment timing, but supporting 10% growth in the dividend (US$0.64).
…but how long can CSL hold onto its newly minted market share?
Clearly, CSL benefited from competitor stumbles in both Immunoglobulins and Specialty segments, putting up cc growth of 22% and 25%, respectively.
While management retained FY17 guidance (cc NPAT 18-20%), indicating that competitors have resolved "most issues" and pointed out several 2H headwinds (eg R&D phasing; increased interest expense; and typical Seqirus seasonality 75/25 split), we believe 2H implied growth of c3.5% may prove conservative in light of the portfolio’s breadth/depth and extended historical exploitation of competitive gaps.
Earnings changes…tracking above the top end of guidance
We have modestly adjusted our FY17-19 earnings estimates, with FY17 estimates exceeding guidance. Our DCF/SOTP-based price target increases on FX changes and adjusted multiples to more historical levels.
A core holding, but trim overweight positions on a tactical trade
While we remain confident in the future growth trajectory, sector sentiment remains weak and valuation a bit extended so we would be happy to take profit in any overweight positions as a tactical trade for more nimble investors.
Contributed by Derek Jellinek, Senior Analyst, Healthcare. Original blog here: (VIEW LINK)
Welcome to Livewire, Australia’s most trusted source of investment insights and analysis.
To continue reading this wire and get unlimited access to Livewire, join for free now and become a more informed and confident investor.
1 stock mentioned
Morgans is Australia's largest national full-service retail stockbroking and wealth management network with over 240,000 client accounts, 500 authorised representatives and 950 employees operating from offices in all states and territories.
Please sign in to comment on this wire.