How Perpetual's Vince Pezzullo invests when multiples retreat
Markets are a right mess today, thanks to surging inflation and the fear of what that will do to earnings.
In this environment, you want companies that have the market position, leadership and balance sheets to survive. However, actually finding these companies is no mean feat.
On today's episode of The Rules of Investing, Livewire's David Thornton sits down with Vince Pezzullo - Deputy Head of Equities at Perpetual. Vince joined Perpetual in 2007 and has covered a heap of sectors since then; you name it - chemicals, financials, banking, telecommunications, materials and REITS.
He now heads up the Australian Share fund, Geared Australian Share fund, Direct Equity Alpha fund and the Perpetual Equity Investment Company (ASX:PIC) with about $435 million under the hood.
There's not much we don't cover in this episode. We take a granular look at the affect inflation is having on valuations and company decision-making, the structural shifts afoot in the energy market, and the qualities every company in your portfolio should have.
We even discuss an Irish gambling stock making waves in a wide-open US market.
This episode was recorded on June 23, 2022.
- 1:45 - Company margins
- 5:00 - Investing to get down the cost curve
- 6:00 - DuPont ROE
- 7:30 - Growth stock valuations
- 9:30 - Energy, the global tax on growth
- 10:45 - Shifting trade flows
- 13:10 - Santos
- 14:30 - Energy sector going from spot price to contracts
- 19:45 - Banks margins and rising rates
- 23:00 - Inflation: 1990s vs 1970s
- 25:30 - An investment checklist during high volatility
- 28:00 - The limit to duration risk
- 29:10 - The importance of real assets
- 32:00 - The Irish bookmaker making waves in the US
- 39:00 - 3 favourite questions
Never miss an insight
Enjoy this wire? Hit the ‘like’ button to let us know. Stay up to date with content like this by hitting the ‘follow’ button below and you’ll be notified every time we post a wire.
Not already a Livewire member? Sign up today to get free access to investment ideas and strategies from Australia’s leading investors.
MORE ON Equities
1 stock mentioned
1 fund mentioned
3 contributors mentioned
The Rules of Investing is one of Australia's top investing podcasts. We interview the leading investment minds from Australia and overseas to better understand their processes and philosophy. After launching in October 2017, there have been over...