Investing: A how to guide
Getting started as an investor is a daunting task. Even for experienced investors, information overload can be a problem, but for the new investor, it’s hard to even know where to look for a starting point. That’s the goal of this special mini-series; to provide a starting point for novice investors to begin their journey.
In this first part of the series, we’ll be discussing issues around personal finance, goal setting, risk and reward, and setting yourself up to get started as an investor. In two weeks’ time, we’ll do a special episode on equity analysis, that I hope will provide the tools required to begin analysing stocks. Finally, we’ll do an episode about portfolio construction and asset allocation – one of the most underappreciated aspects of investing.
If you’ve got any family members or friends that have been asking you about investing, then this is for them. Please consider whether you know anyone who might benefit from this content and send it their way.
This week’s guest is Phil Richards, Director and Wealth Advisor at Endorphin Wealth, and Founder of Smart Home Deposit, an online tool to help first home buyers save for a deposit.
- 3:15 – Key things to think about before you start investing
- 7:17 – Why putting all your eggs in one basket is not a great idea
- 11:30 - How can the average person access a diversified portfolio?
- 12:48 – The difference between Active and Passive investing
- 17:00 – What performance timeframe should you look at before investing with a Fund Manager?
- 19:15 – What kind of grace period should you give your Fund Manager if they’re underperforming?
- 22:33 – When should you start thinking about investing?
- 26:55 – How much money do you need to start investing?
- 31:15 – Thinking about risk
- 37:00 – Different goals, different investment strategies
- 40:17 – Don’t forget your Super
45:47 – Phil answers our favourite questions.
If you're enjoying The Rules of Investing and don't want to miss a future episode, subscribe now to get notified when a new episode is released.
- Subscribe on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe on Spotify
- Subscribe on Stitcher
- Subscribe on Google Podcasts.
Or stay up to date with my content by hitting the 'follow' button below and you'll be notified every time I post a wire. Not already a Livewire member? Sign up today to get free access to investment ideas and strategies from Australia's leading investors.
MORE ON Education
The Rules of Investing is one of Australia's top investing podcasts. We interview the leading investment minds from Australia and overseas to better understand their processes and philosophy. After launching in October 2017, there have been over...