9 cognitive biases you need to understand

The world is incredibly complicated. We are constantly being presented with new information and we have to subconsciously process it all as quickly as possible. In order to do so, our brain uses shortcuts – which we call heuristics and biases. While these mental tricks are incredibly useful and accurate 95% of the time, the other 5% of the time the heuristics and biases we use can greatly hurt us. Guarding yourself against yourself is probably one of the most important things you can do in the world of investing. One example is Choice-Supportive Bias. This is one that should seem familiar. Think about how people root for their favourite sports team or back up their political stances. They drastically over weigh the positives and drastically under weigh the negatives. Once a person becomes a regular customer for a particular product, as long as nothing drastically changes about that product, they’ll keep using it and recommending it to others even if a better competitor comes on the market. See the full list: (VIEW LINK)


Livewire News brings you a wide range of financial insights with a focus on Global Macro, Fixed Income, Currencies and Commodities.

Expertise

No areas of expertise

I would like to

Only to be used for sending genuine email enquiries to the Contributor. Livewire Markets Pty Ltd reserves its right to take any legal or other appropriate action in relation to misuse of this service.

Personal Information Collection Statement
Your personal information will be passed to the Contributor and/or its authorised service provider to assist the Contributor to contact you about your investment enquiry. They are required not to use your information for any other purpose. Our privacy policy explains how we store personal information and how you may access, correct or complain about the handling of personal information.