Totus: ‘Cash Earners’ vs 'Cash Burners’
Ben McGarry’s formative years as an investor were spent on the ‘sell side’ pitching ideas to local fund managers. It was during this time that he met Phil Mathews, a hedge fund guru who introduced him to a style of investing that aimed to perform through all market conditions.
McGarry has built a reputation from calling out several high-profile corporate failures and the Totus Alpha Fund has returned 18.3% per annum since inception in 2012. While ‘shorts’ make for great headlines it can also draw attention away from the long portfolio, which is curated with a small selection of stocks that have cleared some very high hurdles.
In this interview, McGarry talks in depth about backing his best ideas, reveals the one Aussie stock that US fund managers are all talking about and he also ranks the WAAAX stocks in order from highest to lowest quality.
- An update on his short thesis on Tesla after the recent ‘short squeeze’ and how he manages short positions in the portfolio.
- Finding an investment style that can perform regardless of what is going on in the market.
- Concentrated long investing and the Aussie midcap that ticks all the boxes
- Why can’t markets continue to rally?
- Cash Earners vs Cash Burners
- Ranking the WAAAX stocks from highest to lowest quality
I regularly interview Australia's leading fund managers and investment professionals to learn about how they're investing and the opportunities thy have identified. Hit the 'follow' button below to ensure you get first access to all my interviews.
For more information about Totus Capital please send your enquiry via the 'contact' button below.
6 stocks mentioned
1 contributor mentioned
Livewire is Australia’s #1 website for expert investment analysis. We work with leading investment professionals to deliver curated content that helps investors make confident and informed decisions. Safe investing and thanks for reading Livewire.