Nailing your asset allocation
While most investors focus on picking stocks to drive performance, in reality, this is just a part of it. Research has proven that over the long-term, 85% of your return is determined by nailing your asset allocation, i.e.: the right mix of equities, bonds, alternatives, property and cash for your goals.
In the final part of this three-part mini-series aimed at new investors, I sit down with Andrew McAuley the Chief Investment Officer for Credit Suisse Private Bank in Australia. Bringing it all together to complete this series, Andrew succinctly explains what asset allocation is and why it is important to get right.
This was an enjoyable interview with an industry luminary, and I hope you find it as useful as I did interesting.
- 1:50 – What are asset allocation and portfolio construction? And why are they important?
- 5:13 – Why deciding what assets to invest in is more important than picking stocks
- 6:45 – Breaking down asset classes – Bonds, Equities and Alternatives
- 9:54 – Why hold bonds?
- 15:04 – What asset allocation might look like for a 25 year-old?
- 17:18 – Similar profiles, different risk profiles
- 20:23 – When to use Active and Passive management
- 26:15 – Most common investing misconceptions
- 29:19 – Franking credits and investing home bias
- 30:50 – Biggest risks in markets today
- 33:10 – Andrew’s favourite rule of thumb for investing
- 35:22 – Favourite questions
In part one of this three-part mini-series, I spoke with Phil Richards, Director and Wealth Advisor at Endorphin Wealth to discuss setting yourself up to get started as an investor
In part two, I sat down with Hamish Carlisle from Merlon Capital to discuss 'How to pick stocks like a pro'.
If you're enjoying The Rules of Investing and don't want to miss a future episode, subscribe now to get notified when a new episode is released.
- Subscribe on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe on Spotify
- Subscribe on Stitcher
- Subscribe on Google Podcasts.
Or stay up to date with my content by hitting the 'follow' button below and you'll be notified every time I post a wire. Not already a Livewire member? Sign up today to get free access to investment ideas and strategies from Australia's leading investors.
MORE ON Asset Allocation
1 contributor mentioned
The Rules of Investing is one of Australia's top investing podcasts. We interview the leading investment minds from Australia and overseas to better understand their processes and philosophy. After launching in October 2017, there have been over...